Quizmasters Lee and Marc are joined by Tim Clark and Joee Patterson, two longtime friends and listeners of the show to ask each other their favorite trivia questions of the week. The two discuss the idea of “studying” for trivia competitions. Marc reviews his mid-quiz wager mechanic.
Categories include Futurama, Harry Houdini, Makeup, Olympics, Pulitzer Prize, Movie Firsts, Television Firsts, Animals, Boats, Plants, Authors, Superhero Movies, Art, Inventions, Sharks, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Eyeglasses, Medical Terms, Geography and more!
- FUTURAMA – In a season 1 episode of Futurama, what is hurtling towards the Earth, threatening its destruction?
- HARRY HOUDINI – Born Eric Weisz, Harry Houdini got his stage name from Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin, another entertainer known for what kind of performance?
- MAKEUP – Retinol is a substance found in many anti-ageing skincare and makeup products, and is a derivative of which vitamin?
- OLYMPICS – What two-team contest is recognized by the International Olympic Committee and was featured in the Summer Olympics from 1900-1920?
- PULIZTER PRIZE – Which American university awards the Pulitzer Prize?
- SAILING – After embarking on a three-year long journey from Boston, Massachusetts in his 36′ 9″ (11.2 m) gaff rigged sloop oyster boat named Spray, who became the first person to single-handedly sail around the world upon his return to Newport, Rhode Island, on June 27, 1898?
- MOVIE FIRSTS – What film, released in 1960, was the first film to show a toilet being flushed?
- TELEVISION FIRSTS – What was the first couple to show a married couple sleeping in the same bed?
- TELEVISION FIRSTS – What was the first television show to show a toilet?
- ANIMALS – What family or group do the following animals belong to, Ursus maritimus, ursus arctos horribilis, ailuropoda melanoleuca?
- BOATS – The ocean liner RMS Carpathia played a role in what historical event?
- PLANTS – Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Kiwis and Bananas are all botanically classified as what kind of fruit?
- “How do you guys feel about players and teams research for trivia, prior to attending? Since trivia competition relies on information you’ve learned previously, is it akin to cheating to study?” – submitted by Tim
- AUTHORS – Robert Ludlum is known for writing what books which became a successful movie franchise?
- SUPERHERO MOVIES – Which 1994 super hero movie was nominated for an academy award for best visual effects, but ultimately lost to Forrest Gump?
- ART – Edvard Munch’s “The Scream ” was stolen in 1994 and 2004 from museums in which European capital?
- INVENTIONS – The design of what now ubiquitous apparatus was inspired by the concertina and patented in 1937?
- SHARKS – According to a 2013 TIME Magazine article, humans are bitten by what over 10-times more frequently in New York City than by shark attacks globally?
- ASTRONOMY – With stars forming details such as the “little shield”, the “steering-oar”, the “mast-holder”, and the “stern-ornament,” which formerly recognized constellation can be seen from the southern hemisphere, and was named after a famous ship from Greek myth?
- EYEGLASSES – The strength of prescription eyeglasses is measured in what unit?
- MEDICAL TERMS – An ephelis is the medical term for what
- THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS – In The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, what legendary card hand is dealt to Buster when he sits down at the poker table, that he refuses to play?
- GEOGRAPHY – What is the southernmost state in the U.S.?
- ANIMALS – What well-known venomous mammal, belong to the order montremia (monotreme meaning one whole), possesses mammary gland but lacks teets, and therefore nourishes its young by secreting milk sweat through its belly?
Weekly Wrap Up
- #268 – Palace Pub and Wine Bar – Trivia Newton John – 101 pts.
- #269 – No. 3 Craft Brews and Beer Bar – As You Wish – 110 pts.
Upcoming LIVE Know Nonsense Trivia Challenges
- February 17th, 2020 – Know Nonsense Trivia Challenge #272 @ Palace Pub and Wine Bar in Cape Coral, FL. with free bottles of wine for our round winners. Categories for the quiz will include MOVIES, VIDEO GAMES, COMICS, FAST FOOD MENU ITEMS, HISTORY, SOLAR SYSTEM and more. The Meat Cottage will be on site serving up authentic German cuisine. The final wager question that evening will be a question about THE NERVOUS SYSTEM selected by Team Brownstreet ft. Liz & Rose.
- February 20th Know Nonsense Trivia Challenge #273 @ No. 3 Craft Brews and Beer Bar in Cape Coral, FL. Categories for the quiz will include SPORTS, MAKEUP, PHYSICS, HISTORY, MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS and more. We’re going to have a ton of TV questions by request as well, covering shows such as HISTORY, LITERATURE, FOOD, MUSIC, MOVIES, VIDEO GAMES and more, all by request. The final wager question that evening will be a question about INTERNET MEMES selected by Death Stars Are The Best Stars.
- February 20th, 2020 – It’s 80’s Music Trivia @ No. 3. We’re taking it to the max, quizzing you on your ability to identify artists and songs from the 1980’s, as well as full quiz of trivia about the decade in music. It’s an all 80’s music trivia on February 29th at No 3 Craft Brews & Beer Bar in Cape Coral from 6 to 8pm.
- March 28th, 2020 – Get ready for Quizmania – Wrestling Trivia @ No. 3. We’ll be entering the world of the squared circle, covering all decades, eras and promotions, including the history of professional wrestling, the titles, controversies and catch phrases, famous finishers, tag teams, stables and families, behind the scenes, lost moves, goofs, wrestlecrap and more. It’s QUIZMANIA: The Know Nonsense Trivia Challenge: Pro-Wrestling Edition – March 28th 2020 at No 3 Craft Brews and Beer Bar in Cape Coral, also from 6-8pm.
You can find out more information about that and all of our live events online at KnowNonsenseTrivia.com All of the Know Nonsense events are free to play and you can win prizes after every round.
Thanks to our supporters on Patreon.
- Thank you, Quizdaddies – Dylan, Tommy (The Electric Mud) and Tim (Pat’s Garden Service)
- Thank you, Team Captains – David, Rachael, Aaron, Kristen & Fletcher
- Thank you, Proverbial Lightkeepers – Manu, Mo, Matthew, Nicole, Luc, Spencer, Hank, Justin, Cooper, Elyse, Sarah, Brina, Karly, Kristopher, Josh, Gil, Shaun, Lucas and Max
- Thank you, Rumplesnailtskins – Kenya, Jeff, Eric, Steven, Efren, Mike J., Mike C.
If you’d like to support the podcast and gain access to bonus content, please visit http://theknowno.com and click “Support.”
- Wooden Boats | Clark & Eisele Traditional Boatbuilding — Tim’s boatbuilding company
- Into the Thaw: Decoding Thwaites Glacier | Public Radio International — Joee was featured in her role as a marine technician in this series by Public Radio International
- Journey to Antarctica: Reckoning With Uncertainty – Rolling Stone — Joee’s work featured in Rolling Stone
- ITGC Thwaites Glacier — Ongoing research and updates on the Antarctic research with which Joee assists.
- (2) “Some motherfucker’s always trying to ice skate uphill” – YouTube